The state-owned Vietnam Oil and Gas Group (PetroVietnam) said despite "complications" last year, it was business as usual for it in the East Sea.
Phung Dinh Thuc, the chief executive of PetroVietnam, which explores and drills oil in the sea, said at a press conference Monday that thanks to assistance from the ministries of public security, defense, and foreign affairs, its activities in the East Sea remained “quite smooth”
The company was operating within Vietnam’s 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone, he said.
On May 26 last year PetroVietnam vessel Binh Minh 2 had its exploration cables severed by a Chinese marine surveillance vessel some 120 nautical miles off the central Vietnamese coast.
Two weeks later Viking II, a Norwegian ship contracted by a PetroVietnam joint venture, was also harassed by Chinese ships.
Later a visit to China in October by Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong saw the signing of an agreement setting out a basic legal framework for negotiating and resolving sea disputes between the two countries.
China and Vietnam agreed to follow the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and the 2002 Conduct of Parties in the East Sea, also known as the South China Sea, while resolving disputes through negotiations.
(Source: Thanh Nien News)
- China’s U-shaped Line in the South China Sea: Possible Interpretations, Asserting Activities and Reactions from Outside, by Tran Truong Thuy[22/01/2013 03:50]
- Chinese strategic miscalculations in the South China Sea[01/10/2012 03:23]
- China – a hungry dragon in the East Sea[16/08/2012 02:13]
- Vietnam protests Chinese oil company’s move[28/06/2012 12:45]
- ARF 2012 stresses concern on East Sea disputes[30/05/2012 02:09]
- ASEAN completes draft COC on East Sea[30/05/2012 02:01]
- A legal analysis in support of Viet Nam’s position regarding the Paracel & Spratly Islands[28/05/2012 02:47]
- Vietnam, China boost diplomatic exchanges[16/02/2012 08:08]
- Vietnam manufactures its first warship[17/01/2012 10:29]
- Hoang Sa, Truong Sa belong to Vietnam[17/01/2012 06:28]
- ASEAN-China senior officials meet on DOC implementation[16/01/2012 08:58]
- VN calls for strong regional coordination[10/01/2012 07:58]
- PM calls for peaceful settlement of marine-related issues[21/12/2011 01:45]
- A new book on ‘Vietnam and the East Sea’ published[20/12/2011 15:47]
- From the Giao Chi sea to the U-shape line[17/12/2011 09:49]
- Why the East Sea became the South China Sea?[17/12/2011 09:34]
- Vietnam seeks no outside help over China issues[31/10/2011 20:17]