(VOV) - Vietnam and China should closely coordinate in seriously implementing bilateral agreements, especially those on the principles of settling marine-related issues, including disputes, based on international law, Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung said in Myanmar on December 19.
The statement was made during his meeting with Chinese State Councillor Dai Bingguo on the sidelines of the fourth Greater Mekong Subregion Summit (GMS-4) held in the capital city of Naypyitaw.
PM Dung attended the opening ceremony of GMS-4 together with other head delegates from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and China.
During his talk with the Chinese leader, Mr Dung highlighted the role of the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and the need to implement the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the East Sea (DOC), and early reach a Code of Conduct in the East Sea (COC).
The two sides should continue to uphold the role of the Steering Committee for Bilateral Cooperation in concretizing the ‘joint awareness’ of the two countries’ leaders, including the implementation of the master plan for Sino-Vietnam trade and economic cooperation from 2012-2016, PM Dung added.
For his part, Chinese State Councillor Dai affirmed that the Chinese leaders are determined to solve the remaining marine-related issues between Vietnam and China. Mr Dai also said China wants to join ASEAN in implementing the DOC and starting negotiations over the COC.
- Vietnam protests Chinese oil company’s move[28/06/2012 12:45]
- ARF 2012 stresses concern on East Sea disputes[30/05/2012 02:09]
- ASEAN completes draft COC on East Sea[30/05/2012 02:01]
- A legal analysis in support of Viet Nam’s position regarding the Paracel & Spratly Islands[28/05/2012 02:47]
- Vietnam, China boost diplomatic exchanges[16/02/2012 08:08]
- PetroVietnam says oil activities normal in East Sea [18/01/2012 09:04]
- Vietnam manufactures its first warship[17/01/2012 10:29]
- Hoang Sa, Truong Sa belong to Vietnam[17/01/2012 06:28]
- ASEAN-China senior officials meet on DOC implementation[16/01/2012 08:58]
- VN calls for strong regional coordination[10/01/2012 07:58]
- A new book on ‘Vietnam and the East Sea’ published[20/12/2011 15:47]
- From the Giao Chi sea to the U-shape line[17/12/2011 09:49]
- Why the East Sea became the South China Sea?[17/12/2011 09:34]
- Vietnam seeks no outside help over China issues[31/10/2011 20:17]