Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte has canceled a planned visit to an island the Philippines claims in the disputed South China Sea, after Beijing warned him against the visit.
The brash Philippine leader last week announced his plan to raise the Philippine flag in the island of Thitu and fortify it with barracks, setting off alarm bells.
"Because of our friendship with China and because we value your friendship I will not go there to raise the Philippine flag," Duterte said in a speech before the Filipino community in Riyadh late Wednesday.
"They said, do not go there in the meantime, just do not go there please. I will correct myself because we value our friendship with China," he said, adding that he might just send his son to the island.
Read more at Reuters
Click here for updated South China Sea news
- Trump to visit Philippines, Vietnam[21/04/2017 02:31]
- Philippines hopeful South China Sea code framework done in 2017[20/04/2017 09:54]
- Raging Waters in Benham Rise[23/03/2017 00:00]
- Indonesia-Australia Ties: Joint Patrols in the South China Sea?[22/03/2017 00:00]
- A New Washington Naval Conference Could Prevent a Deadly South China Sea Showdown[12/03/2017 00:00]
- Tracking Compliance with the SCS Arbitral Award: China’s 2017 Summer Fishing Moratorium May Rekindle Conflict with the Philippines[07/03/2017 00:00]
- The Philippines' South China Sea Flip-Flop[02/03/2017 00:00]
- Control in the South China Sea[13/02/2017 00:00]
- Military Bases in the South China Sea So Dangerous[13/02/2017 00:00]
- Why China May Have Made a Massive Mistake in the South China Sea[08/02/2017 00:00]
- Donald Trump's Huge South China Sea Problem (And What To Do About It)[08/02/2017 00:00]
- US Policy on South China Sea Hasn’t Changed[07/02/2017 00:00]